Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Prepare: Real Tornado Insurance

If you have been watching the news, a massive storm rolled through the middle of the U.S. last night (February 10) and made all sorts of havoc.

I live in the area affected and hoped I was ready for whatever came.

We knew the storm was coming around 8:30 - 9:00, so after dinner I checked outside. I made sure there was nothing which could "go projectile" was left outside or in a dangerous location.

That included tools, kids toys and lawn furniture. Other than that, there is not much more you can do to stop or make your home prepared for a tornado, high winds or damaging hail.

When the storm hit, my wife was in the den watching the weather updates with the baby. My two older kids were in bed. I stepped out the front door to watch the storm roll in when the emergency sirens went off at the fire department a half a mile from our home.

Just then I heard my wife yelling in the house and saw her shadow run past the front window as she headed to the kids rooms.

I went inside and my wife was herding the children into the hallway bathroom.

Now here is where our family's tornado insurance lies. We have a main hallway which runs through the middle of our home. It is surrounded by the rest of the house and includes access to each bedroom but also has a large walk in closet and a bathroom.

It was in the bathroom my wife took the kids and one of the dogs (for some reason, she left the other dog in the den; she never liked him much). My oldest started crying as my wife told them a tornado warning was in affect for our area and one or two twisters were possibly going to touch down.

At this time, I went for the weather radio and a battery powered lantern. After dropping those off in the bathroom, I opened the walk in closet and grabbed an extra folding mattress which I gave to my wife. If a tornado struck, we would lay down under that mattress for protection.

Time was still on my side so I went for one of my battery powered radios, an extra flashlight and some more milk for the baby.

Nothing was happening, so I checked the television in the den which stated that two twisters were possibly north of our location. I went back to the family and brought the cordless house phone (I have my cellular in my pocket as well as a small flashlight).

My wife called her father and let the kids speak with their "grampa" which helped calm them down.

In the meantime, the television reported that the twisters had not touched down and the warning was clear. Good news.

After 15 minutes or so, we let the kids go back to their rooms. I kept the rest of the supplies in the bathroom just in case. (I also added some work gloves and dust masks because I did not want to look for those things later).

We were lucky. Our neighbors to the north in Edmond, OK and other places were not. Our prayers go out to them.

The best tornado insurance is a plan and a place. Tornadoes have struck every state in the union, so none of us anywhere are safe from these natural disasters.

No comments:

Tag and Bookmark

Disclaimer - This blog from time to time reviews products on this blog. Some, but not all, of the products reviewed are affiliate market products and do provide compensation to the blog operator. This blog does receive revenue from advertising on this blog and from the sale of products highlighted on the outside columns and frame of this blog.
This blog is for informational and entertainment purposes only. For legal, medical, financial or any other professional advice, consult with a licensed professional.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

Copyright - all content property of survivalism.blogspot.com 2005 -2011 all rights reserved. Content scrapers and copyright violators will be prosecuted.
storable food, dehydrated food, fod, dry food, food storage, food insurance, freeze dried food, survival food, food sale prices, food sale, bulk food, collapse food, food shortage, survival seeds, non hybrid, non-hybrid, emergency food, dehydrated vegetables, dehydrated mixes, dried produce, spices, whole food, mountain house food, mountain house freeze dried food, alpine aire, alpine aire freeze dried food, alpine air, mountainhouse, richmoor, survival food storage, bird flu, emergency survival, emergency preparation, dehydrated storable food, emergency preparedness, long term food storage, long term water storage, long term storable food, camping food, emergency food storage, food reserves, long term food reserves, storage, long term, long-term, dehydrated, gourmet reserves, long shelf life, no cooking required, food storage systems, non perishable food, non-perishable, no cooking food, non cook food, non-cook food, no cook food, basic needs, basic food storage, dry, dry storable, storage, preparedness, personal preparedness, food supply, supplies, seeds, sprouts, food supplier, survival review, collapse food storage, world food shortage, american food shortage

x

Tripbase Travel Reviews